The Canterbury University Tramping club has been helping like-minded people since the 1930s, back when it was easier to catch a train into the hills than it was to drive a car.
Things have changed a bit since then, but our goals of getting people into the outdoors remain the same!
The club dates back to 10 June 1932*, first being known as the ‘Canterbury College Tramping Club’, then later ‘Canterbury University College Tramping Club’, and finally ‘Canterbury University Tramping Club’.
Around 1967 the related University of Canterbury Canoe Club was formed by members of the tramping club.
The Avoca Hut, situated in the Craigieburn Forest Park, is a 6-bunk ‘raised A-frame’ design hut, built in 1947.
The club is still responsible for its maintenance, with a committee role specifically for the hut.
In the mid 1950s the club took over Steeds Hut situated in Arthur’s Pass Village. Its location is noted on a map inside the local train station.
The hut was sold in the 1990s after failing multiple building WOFs.
- 50 Years of TWALK trailer: https://vimeo.com/219268421
- 50 Years of TWALK film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZ4tV9cl5Q
- Freshers Mt Richardson and Arthur’s Pass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUk3FnsaGgs
- Freshers Mt Oxford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqO4iwN-a4E
- Mingha–Deception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rjQuCHVW8
- TWALK 1988 (Weka Pass): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIReYGdnVY
- Bush Ball 1988 (Steeds Hut): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTjVvehiZRQ
- Hawdon Valley (plus Lake Christabel & Sylvia Flats Hot Springs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3lCiN38JY
Notable former members
- Alastair Mcdowell, New Zealand Alpine Team
- Jan Wright, New Zealand Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment (2007–2017)
- Norman Hardie, mountaineer involved in the first ascent of Kangchenjunga
- Beatrice Tinsley, astronomer
- Brian Harold Mason, geochemist and mineralogist
|2020||Jessica Gosling||Luke Whitehead and Hovey Dickson|
|2019||Josiah Greig, Luke Sutton (from July)||Ruth McKie and Mathew Falloon|
|2018||George Moon||Andre Le Lievre and Ellen Garrity|
|2017||George Moon||Kerry Clapham and Clare Fryer|
|2016||Stephanie Dijkstra, George Moon (from August)||Philipp Sueltrop and Caroline Bellamy|
|2015||Kate Wootton||Glen Baxter and Josie Dransfield|
|2014||Nick Riordan||Sam Stephenson and Kate Wootton|
|2013||Nick Riordan||Sasha Roselli and Sharon Hornblow|
|2012||Wouter van Beerschoten||Tobias Wulff and Euan Cox|
|2011||Vaughan Snowdon||Tom Alton and Ben Richards|
|2010||Brian Thorne||Joanne Taylor and David Manning|
|2009||Laura Hollingsworth||Giselle Clarkson and Brian Thorne|
|2008||James Pettengell||Daniel Channon and Laura Hollingsworth|
|2007||Juliane Wilcke||James Pettengell and Jenie Iles|
|2006||Juliane Wilcke and Andreas Baumgaertner||Mike Carrigan and Steve Pawson|
|2005||Darryn Welham||Sylvia MacLaren and Amber Sinton|
|2004||Mike Hayward and Carl Barlev||Kurt Janssen and Paul Cannin|
|2003||Mike Hayward||Jonno Hill and Phil Lamb|
|2002||Mike Hayward||David Bones|
|2001||Jonno Hill||Phil Barclay and Stewart Hardie|
|2000||Benjamin Franzmeyr and Jonno Hill||Clare McLennan and Ren Borsboom|
|1999||Darren Evans||Rene Artz|
|1998||Sam Margerison||Darren Evans|
|1997||Anna Walls||Cindy Baker|
|1996||Anna Walls||Graeme Bathurst and Lisa Winthrop|
|1995||Simon Ward||Anna Walls|
* Source: CUTC 2003 Newsletter #1, President’s Column. Not sure where he got the date from!